Monday, June 14, 2010

Using The Asbury Park Parking Meters.


Those Damn Parking Meters!

I'm not sure how much the City of Asbury Park (or even if was the city) paid for those pretty black and blue parking meters that you'll find just about anywhere up and down Ocean Ave, Kingsley and all the cross streets - but I'm not so sure they got their money's worth!

What I DO know is that there seems to be tremendous number of cops - not necessarily patroling the boardwalk - or watching busy the crosswalks, but instead, hudled around the "blue devils" assisting extremely confused and aggitated beach goers and out of town guests as they try to operate these ultimately complicated pieces of technology.

What should ultimately be a very easy process, all to frequently AIN'T! Actually, after a couple hourse of playing with these oversized gadgets - I've come to the opininon that they really aren't as hard to operate as much as it is 1) there are no clear directions telling you what to do and when, and 2) the damn things generally don't work i.e. they have trouble taking your dollar bills and heaven forbid you should try to use a credit or debit card. Again - what SHOULD be an easy process - just AIN'T!

Back in the good ol' days when I had the North Beach listing, and I sat office hours each and every weekend, every once in a while, this benovelent streak would overcome me. With nothing else to do, I'd ocassionally get up, go outside and help a distressed vacationer and somewhere deep inside - I felt good about myself. As I no longer have the pleasure of sitting those office hours - I sometimes feel lost. So......I decided to make a YouTube video.

The day AFTER it went up, I got a call from the City, with wonderful plans of putting it on the website. But, a month later - nothing. So....for those lucky enough to find this obscure blog and or vid - I hope you find it helpful! I passed it on the the SANDBLAST organizers, but......THAT's a totally different post. ANYWAY - have fun. Smile. Accepte the fact we're all not perfect and send it on!

Be well and have a GREAT day! You're friend in Asbury Park, NJ

www.AsburyParkMark.com Asbury Park, NJ Mark McDonald

No comments: